Demand for behavior analysts has increased dramatically each year over the last decade, and the increase from 2018-19 was 80 percent.
Learn how to improve lives through education, research, and promotion of ethical and evidence-based practices.
New York State licensed behavior analysts assist those with autism spectrum disorders, developmental disabilities, behavioral disorders, emotional disturbances, or no diagnosis at all, to achieve individually developed goals, learn new skills and improve challenging behavior.
They design, implement, and evaluate environmental stimuli to produce socially significant improvement in human behavior.
- Daemen’s reputable ABA program holds the highest standards of both New York State licensure and the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, Inc®.
- Program was one of the first in New York State to be approved for licensure in ABA.
- On-campus evening courses or distance education asynchronous courses accommodate the working professional.
- Students practice the development and evaluation of assessment and intervention, including behavior measurement, assessment, change elements, procedures, and systems.
- Students learn ethical and professional practice in working with families, members of the community, and other practitioners.
- Program includes a practicum course where students obtain the required 150 hours of supervised clinical work.
- Amherst campus and distance education programs have partnerships with service agencies across many areas of New York for students to gain valuable experience.
- Faculty members provide interactive educational opportunities in a student-focused environment and are committed to fostering each student’s academic and professional goals.
- Students have opportunities to develop scientific and professional writing, collaboration, and oral presentation skills necessary to become well-rounded scientist practitioners.
On-Campus and Online Programs Offered
- Master of Science in ABA
- Advanced Certificate in ABA
- BCBA® Eligibility Course Sequence
- BCBA® to NYS-LBA Eligibility Course Sequence
Online Program Option
This accelerated format includes cohorts starting in both fall and spring. Students learn from scientist practitioner faculty with diverse specialty areas and methods of service delivery who have learned from and trained with leaders in the field. Faculty mentors also provide opportunities for research and dissemination through publications and/or presentations at regional, state-wide, and national conferences.
Graduates work in many settings, including schools, clinics, homes, community organizations, vocational programs, and hospitals.
Popular careers include:
- Behavior analyst
- Behavior consultant
- Clinical specialist
- Behavior intervention specialist
- Behavioral health specialist
Other professionals who can benefit from an ABA licence include:
- School administrators
Francesca D’Arrigo, ’20
Behavior intervention specialist, Junior Consultant, Parent Trainer, Blue Sea Educational Consulting
Sean Lehane, ’19
Program coordinator, Newmeadow Inc., an integrated ABA-focused preschool in upstate, NY
- 31 credit program can be completed in two years with on-campus, or 18 months online
- The Master’s Degree Program is identical to the Advanced Certificate Program, with the addition of the 3 credit Research Capstone Course (SED 722)
- This post-Master’s program is 28 credits and can be completed in two years, or 18 months online
- Candidates must possess a Master's degree (from an accredited college or university) in: Education; Special Education; Psychology; or Applied Behavior Analysis
- SED700 Applied Behavior Analysis (3)
- SED702 Behavior Measurement and Assessment (3)
- SED704 Functional Assessment (3)
- SED706 Research Methods and Experimental Design (3)
- SED708 Ethics and Professional Conduct (3)
- SED710 Behavior Change Procedures (3)
- SED716 Maintenance of Client Records (2)
- Completion of all course work as defined on the student’s recommended plan of study
- A minimum grade of B earned in all courses, thereby resulting in a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00
This program is designed for prospective students who hold board certification and seek the additional educational requirements needed to apply for NYS licensure. For more information visit: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/aba/. There is no degree or certificate from Daemen College at completion of this program.
- SED712 Autism Spectrum Disorders (3)
- SED714 Supervised Practicum and Seminar in Applied Behavior Analysis (2)
- SED716 Maintenance of Client Records (2)
- SED718 Issues of Cultural and Ethnic Diversity (3)
- Completion of all course work as defined on the student’s recommended plan of study;
- A minimum grade of B earned in all courses, thereby resulting in a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00;
The practice of designing, implementing and evaluating environmental modifications using behavioral stimuli and consequences to produce socially significant improvement in human behavior, including the use of direct observation, measurement, and functional analysis of the relationship between environment and behavior.
Visit the NYSED website.
Students interested in applying to the ABA program should submit an application to the graduate admissions office, which will be evaluated on the basis of:
Master’s Degree Program
- Possess a bachelor’s degree (from an accredited college or university) in a related field that specifically addresses learning or behavioral changes.
- Provide official transcript(s) from all accredited colleges or universities attended indicating the award of an undergraduate degree.
- Provide evidence of a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.00.
Advanced Certificate Program
- Possess a master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field.
- Provide official transcript(s) from all accredited colleges or universities attended indicating the award of a graduate degree.
- Provide evidence of a cumulative graduate grade point average of at least 3.00.
- Provide a copy of a current resume, including all certifications and licensures.
- Provide a written statement describing personal and educational goals and objectives.
- Provide two letters of recommendation- preferably including one professional reference and one character reference.
- Participate in a personal interview with a member of the ABA program faculty.
Scholarships may not be combined; students may only receive one scholarship.
Graduate Merit Scholarship
Thirty percent off the graduate per credit hour tuition rate awarded to accepted ABA students who have earned an undergraduate grade point average of 2.7 or above.
Graduate Alumni Scholarship
Additional scholarships may be available for alumni, please contact your admissions counselor for more information.
Americorps Matching Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to accepted students who have completed an Americorps service commitment. Daemen College will match the 100 percent of the Segal Americorps Education Award or provide a 30 percent tuition scholarship discount for Americorps alumni enrolling in our program.