AT Program Granted Continued Accreditation
Daemen College’s Professional Master’s Athletic Training Program, one of only two accredited programs in New York State, has received continuing accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). READ MORE
Athletic Training Student Receives Leadership Scholarship
Daemen College professional master’s athletic training program student Kaitlyn Gustafson is the only student from a Western New York institution selected to receive a 2017 iLead Scholarship from the New York State Athletic Trainers’ Association (NYSATA). READ MORE
The BS/MS Athletic Training Program is a seamless 5-year construct in which students earn a Bachelor of Science in Health Promotion and a Master of Science in Athletic Training.
The first three years of the program students complete courses to fulfill the Health Promotion/Health and Fitness major and prerequisites for the Athletic Training Program. The BS degree provides students with a broad education that encompasses: community health and disease prevention, healthcare systems, and health systems management.
Once accepted into the Athletic Training Program, students complete 2 years of study in the Athletic Training Program (MSAT). The Athletic Training coursework includes but is not limited to the following: anatomy and physiology, neuroscience, nutrition, pharmacology, professional development, health care administration, prevention and care of athletic injuries, therapeutic modalities, therapeutic exercise, and assessment and evaluation.
- Athletic training graduates have achieved a 100% first-time pass rate on the BOC Certification Exam, a rate that significantly surpasses the national average of 82.7%.
- In 2014, the AT Program was awarded second place in the New York State Athletic Trainers Association ATEP Video Contest for National Athletic Training Month.
- In 2013, a Daemen College AT student was selected to represent New York State at the National Athletic Training Student Leadership (iLead) conference held in Texas.Daemen College AT student was selected to represent New York State at the National Athletic Training Student Leadership (iLead) conference held in Texas.
- In 2013, a Daemen College AT student was awarded the PFATS-NFL Charities Minority Scholarship, which allowed him to experience the Minnesota Vikings summer training camp.Daemen College AT student was awarded the PFATS-NFL Charities Minority Scholarship, which allowed him to experience the Minnesota Vikings summer training camp.
- We encourage our AT students to become dual credentialed with strength and conditioning certifications. Currently, 9 of our graduates are dual credentialed ATC/CSCS.
- 34/34 Daemen College AT graduates have passed the BOC exam.Daemen College AT graduates have passed the BOC exam.
Athletic Trainers are employed in secondary schools, colleges and universities, professional sports, sports medicine clinics, military, and in the industrial and commercial settings.
95% of Daemen College Athletic Training alumni are currently practicing clinicians in the Athletic Training profession. Our alumni have been employed in a variety of settings including:
|Daemen College||Excelsior Orthopedics|
|Alfred State College||Indiana University|
|University at Buffalo||Buffalo State College|
|East Coast Orthotics & Prosthetics Corp||Southern Methodist University|
|Finger Lakes Health||Morgan State University|
|Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center||New York Knicks|
|Binghamton University||Frostburg State University|
|Furman University||Michigan State University|
|Town Center Orthopedics||Dr. Frank Schlehr, MD, PC|
Applicant Instructions for BS/MS Students
All BS/MS students applying for admission to the Athletic Training Program must submit the following documents by February 15 to:
Dr. Nicole Chimera
Director of the Athletic Training Program, Daemen College
Mail Box 137
4380 Main St
Amherst, NY 14226
Required Application Documents
- A completed application form (DOC) which is available on the Athletic Training website. Note: ALL overall and prerequisite GPAs will be updated by registrar and reported to the Athletic Training Program at the conclusion of the spring semester. Please indicate current overall GPA if known.
- Daemen AT Student Observation Record Form (XLS) verifying that the Athletic Training student has obtained 50 hours of Athletic Training exposure under the supervision of a BOC Certified Athletic Trainer, 15 of these hours in the Daemen College Athletic Training Room. Students must submit verification of Blood Borne Pathogen training prior to starting observation hours in the Daemen College Athletic Training Room.
- Two completed character reference forms. One must be completed by a BOC Certified Athletic Trainer.
- A biographical sketch (brief narrative describing your goal/philosophy related to personal, academic, professional development, interest in athletic training, and/or relative background in another allied health profession).
- Read the Technical Standards and submit the signed Technical Standards Verification Form (DOC).
- Copy of current CPR/AED and First Aid cards.
The Athletic Training Program faculty encourages students needing assistance to seek help from their assigned Academic Advisor or Athletic Training Program faculty at Daemen College.
Once an application has been reviewed by the Athletic Training Program admission committee, selected students will be invited for an interview. Students will be notified via email or letter with an invitation for an interview. Interviews typically take place by the beginning of March.
Acceptance letters will typically be mailed the first week of April.
Upon admission to the Athletic Training Program, students will attend a mandatory orientation prior to the start of or during summer courses which will include the following:
- Students will receive an introduction to the Athletic Training Program faculty
- Portions of the Athletic Training Program student handbook will be reviewed
- Information will be conveyed regarding:
- Athletic Training Program Mission, Goals, and Expected Program Outcomes
- Expectations of the Athletic Training Program
- Academic Standards and Policies
- Professional Standards and Expectations
- Comprehensive Examination
- Clinical Education Experience including; Assignment, Physical Examination, Immunizations, Health Insurance
- Athletic Training Student Association
- Malpractice/Professional Liability Insurance
- Departmental Communication
I have been given the opportunity to work with the US Men’s Soccer program providing athletic training coverage for camps and tournaments across the country and the world. READ MORE
At Daemen, you’re not just a number in a lecture hall, your professors truly care about your well-being and academics. READ MORE
Financial Scholarship News
Caleb Earl was selected as a recipient of the Johnson & Johnson Inc. Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association Paul Grace Scholarship Award. The $3,000 scholarship award and a plaque will be presented to him at the Annual Awards Banquet in Philadelphia. Kaitlyn Gustafson was selected as a recipient of the NYSATA iLead Scholarship. Gustafson will receive funding up to $1,500 to attend the NATA iLead Conference in Grapevine, Texas. Rebecca Delahunty was selected as one of the recipients of the 2016 PBATS inaugural Paul DeMartinis Scholarship. Delahunty will receive up to $2,000.