As a graduate student in our Masters in Special Education program, you will have opportunities to work with children with special needs, attend classes that effectively prepare you to teach Common Core standards-based lesson plans, integrate technology, and understand the laws that protect students with IEPs. We offer two pathways to your degree:
Initial/Professional Program- This program is for students seeking certification from New York State who do not possess a teaching certificate in special education. The program can be completed in as little as four semesters including a summer session.
Professional Program- This program is for students seeking professional certification from New York State and already possess an initial teaching certification in special education. The program can be completed in as little as three semesters including a summer session.
- Evening, online, and hybrid courses are offered to accommodate busy schedules.
- Opportunities to work with children with disabilities in both suburban and urban settings within the Buffalo, NY community.
- Small classes allow for individualized attention from knowledgeable and dedicated faculty.
- Students learn practical ways to conduct research and how to apply research-based strategies.
- Daemen College is currently pursuing accreditation of its educator preparation programs by the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP). Pursuant to §52.21 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, the educator preparation programs offered by Daemen College are considered to be continuously accredited for purposes of meeting the New York State requirement that all such programs maintain continuous accreditation.
- View printable information sheet
This program is for students seeking certification from New York State who do not possess a teaching certificate in special education. Students seeking an initial certification in special education would apply to the Initial/Professional Program. The student must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in an acceptable liberal arts concentration and demonstrate a major area of study. In order to obtain initial certification, students must complete the requirements issued by NYSED.
This program is for students seeking professional certification from New York State. The student must already possess an initial teaching certification in special education. A copy of his/her teaching certificate must accompany the other required documentation as part of the admissions application. Students seeking professional certification would apply to the Professional Program. In order to obtain professional certification, students must complete the requirements issued by NYSED.
Additional Program Information
In addition to satisfying the general criteria for graduate admission to Daemen College, applicants must:
- Upon acceptance possess a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 or above (on a 4.00 scale)
- Submit scores from taking the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- School Code for GRE scores: 2762
- Participate in a personal dispositional interview
Scholarships may not be combined; students may only receive one scholarship.
Graduate Merit Scholarship
30 percent off the graduate per credit hour tuition rate awarded to accepted students of this program who have earned an undergraduate GPA of 2.7 or above.
Graduate Alumni Scholarship
Additional scholarships may be available for alumni, please contact your admissions counselor for more information.
Americorps Matching Scholarship
Awarded to accepted students who have completed an Americorps service commitment. Daemen College will match the 100 percent of the Segal Americorps Education Award OR provide a 30 percent tuition scholarship discount for Americorps alumni enrolling in our program.
Education students at Daemen benefit from using video technology as a powerful assessment tool. Daemen has invested in a complete range of digital educational tools including Swivl robots, Smartboards, iPads, and educational apps to give our students a distinct advantage.
Special Education, M.S.
When it came time to apply for graduate school and choose an area of study, I knew I was going to continue my education in the Special Education field. READ MORE
Special Education (1-6), MS
Currently, I am a Graduate Assistant at The Thomas Reynolds Center. This is an extremely exciting opportunity considering I have my own classroom and students. READ MORE