Thinking about switching careers, moving up at your job, or updating your skills? Looking for a one-year program that you can do at night? Budget conscious?
You have found the answer in the Daemen post-baccalaureate Paralegal Studies Certificate! If you already have a four year degree -- either a B.S. or a B.A. in any subject -- you are eligible for admission to the post-baccalaureate Paralegal Studies Certificate program. The cost is only $350 per credit -- comparable to community colleges!
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the job market for paralegals will grow 17% from 2012 to 2022 -- so be prepared!
This program has attracted working adults of all ages and from all types of jobs -- marketing or administrative positions at law firms, administrative assistants at major companies, early retirees who want a second career, and recent college graduates. If you are interested in law, make an appointment with the Program Director and Assistant Professor, Margaret Phillips, today via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 716.839.8283.
TO APPLY: Complete the free Daemen College Online Application and indicate that you are a "transfer" student. Then select "Paralegal Studies" under the "Certificate Programs" option.
- All courses and academic advising are offered in the evening.
- Transfer-friendly policies.
- A wide variety of legal specialty courses are available.
- Emphasis on legal writing, legal research and analytical skills.
- Hands-on research instruction at the University at Buffalo Law Library
- Free access to the premier legal database, WestlawNext, used in law schools, courts and law firms.
- Full semester courses so students can develop their skills with hands-on assignments.
- Opportunity to learn from practical experiences such as trips to courts and legal offices in downtown Buffalo, guest speakers, and internships.
- Students are taught by experienced attorneys who are experts in their field and have spent years working with paralegals.
- Interactive classes.
- Paralegal students have enjoyed internships at Buffalo City Court, Niagara County Court, Hodgson Russ, New York State Attorney General's Office, U.S. Attorney's Office, and private firms such as Bernhardi & Lukasik and Sarles, Frey & Joseph.
- The Certificate program can be finished in as little as 2 semesters!
*Paralegals assist attorneys in legal research, writing, and case investigation. Paralegals cannot provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.
Paralegal skills can prepare you for many different jobs in many different places, such as courts, the legislature, insurance companies, employment agencies, nonprofits, or health insurance agencies. With paralegal skills, you can be a small business owner or work for a legal software company. Learning paralegal skills, in addition to the pre-law minor, can also help prepare you for law school.
Bar association administrator
Claims adjuster, administrator, appraiser, examiner and investigator
Compliance and enforcement inspector
Conflicts analyst or specialist
Design/developer of trial visual aids
Editor for a legal or business publisher
Equal employment opportunity specialist
Human right investigator
Legal software representative
Litigation support specialist
Loan closing coordinator
Loan coordinator for bank
Loan interviewer and clerk
Occupational health and safety specialist and technician
Patent database administrator
Real estate agent, broker or assistant
Risk management technician
Securities compliance officer
Small business owner
Title examiner, abstractor and researcher
Title insurance administrative assistant
Trial court coordinator
Victim or witness advocate for county district attorney's office or U.S. Attorney's officeVirtual Assistant
Post-Baccalaureate Paralegal Studies Certificate
The program's focus on developing writing and analytical skills is a major strength. These abilities make a difference in the level at which a paralegal can contribute to a legal organization.