The Bachelor of Science in Visual Arts Education is based on the philosophy that competent art teachers are also practicing artists.
In addition, Daemen will instruct students on current and effective pedagogical practices, while providing the necessary assistance in reaching certification. Daemen’s Education programs are nationally accredited through the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC)/Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Upon successful completion of degree requirements, graduates receive provisional New York State certification to teach at the primary and secondary level.
- An Elementary, Middle and Secondary curriculum
- Faculty-supervised practicum placement at each level prior to student teaching
- A balance of in-class learning, in-school observations, student and teacher interactions and teaching opportunities
- Graduates are knowledgeable and skilled in making art, understanding how children learn, and differentiating instructional methods
- A curriculum focusing on personal, social, cognitive and artistic development
- Connections to the strongest arts educators in the region
- A Daemen graduate of the Visual Arts Education program will be a caring, dedicated, talented and competent teacher
Art Education faculty at Daemen have extensive experience in the classroom in addition to a substantial professional record presenting at conferences and publishing articles.