**SPECIAL CHANGES IN POLICY DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC**
WE HAVE REDUCED THE OCCUPANCY IN OUR VANS DUE TO COVID-19 GUIDELINES. THESE RESTRICTIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RESERVATION. WE HAVE ONE VAN THAT CAN TRANSPORT UP TO 7 PASSENGERS, AND SEVERAL OTHERS THAT CAN TRANSPORT UP TO 5 PASSENGERS. WHEN MAKING YOUR RESERVATION, LIST THE TOTAL NUMBER OF PASSENGERS, NOT INCLUDING THE DRIVER(S).
Daemen University Van Use Policies
It is expected that before a Daemen University vehicle is reserved, driven, or occupied, users make themselves aware of the following insurance restrictions placed on the University regarding the usage of the University vans to transport personnel.
The Division of Student Affairs coordinates all transportation requests from faculty members, student groups and other offices. This program is managed by the Campus Safety staff. The University vans may be used by any organization, residence hall, or group recognized by the University, according to the following guidelines; however, use of the vans is a privilege, not a right. This privilege is subject to van availability. The Director of Campus Safety, or designee, reserves the right to deny requests based upon anticipated need or requested purpose. Those who abuse the privilege, as determined by the University, may be prohibited from using the vans. Any groups denied use of the vans may appeal to the Assistant Dean for Campus Safety and Operations, or their designee.
- Requests for use of a van must be made at least 5 days in advance using the online form. Last-minute requests may be denied. Vans are reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis; however, official use of the vans by the University has priority over the use of vans by student groups and organizations.
- Any changes or cancellations must be communicated to Campus Safety as soon as known; failure to do so or last-minute cancellations or changes may affect future request approval. To submit a change or cancellation, please contact 716-839-7233 or use our Transportation Contact Form.
- Drivers of a University van are required to be Daemen employees who have completed the “authorized driver” process through the office of Employee Engagement. Drivers must be free of any driving-related convictions and have no current, unsatisfied social sanctions pending at the University. The Assistant Dean for Campus Safety (or designee) may approve or deny, at his/her discretion, any requests to become an authorized driver, or to temporarily or permanently remove employees from the authorized driver list.
- If a group does not have an approved driver, a driver must be requested at the time of the original van reservation request (at least 5 days prior to the date of the trip) However, we cannot guarantee that a driver will be available for your trip. If a driver is supplied, the group will be charged for the driver’s services (minimum charge of 3 hours), at a rate of $15.00/per hour. Once a driver has been scheduled for your trip, any cancellations or changes must be made at least 5 days before the scheduled trip or your group may be charged accordingly.
- The vans can be used for travel in and around the vicinity of Daemen University and no further than a 75 mile distance from the University. The van is not allowed to leave the country (i.e. trips to Canada are prohibited). Trips outside the 75 mile radius must receive special approval.
- Keys to the vans may be signed-out at the Campus Safety Desk in the Wick Center. The employee making the request will receive a confirmation via email. A copy of the confirmation, along with a passenger list, must be brought to Campus Safety when signing-out the keys.
- Only members of the Daemen University community may ride in the University vans. To use the van, your group MUST consist of at least 4 people and cannot exceed the legal capacity of the van.
- The group is responsible for ensuring that all doors are locked and all windows are closed whenever the van is left unattended. Do not leave anything of value in the Daemen Vans; we are not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- When arriving back to campus, the driver will return the van to the proper parking area and ensure the van is locked and secure. The keys must be returned to the Campus Safety Desk.
- All fuel costs are the responsibility of the group using the van. Vans will have at least a half tank of gas prior to pick-up, and must be returned with at least a half tank of gas. The ending gas level MUST be reported to Campus Safety upon return of the keys. When necessary, the group using the van may be billed for additional fuel costs if the van is returned with low fuel. Future ability to reserve the van may be denied if the van is returned near empty. Use the online form Transportation Contact Form before the trip if any issues are anticipated.
- The group must remove any debris from the van interior. The group may be charged for any damages and may be restricted from any further use if determined necessary.
- A group may be denied the use of a van at the discretion of the Director of Campus Safety, Assistant Dean of Campus Safety and Operations or the Vice President of Strategic Initiatives if:
- The group requesting a van plans to attend a bar or other social event where the activity will include the consumption of alcohol;
- The presence of the Daemen van will reflect negatively on the University; and/or
- The van is requested for use beyond midnight, without good cause.
- Drivers are responsible for following all motor vehicle regulations and laws. The driver will be responsible for any toll, fines, fees or penalties associated with your trip.
- Should a trip exceed 6 hours, multiple approved drivers will be required. A driver can only drive 4 hours continuously, after which a driver change or a minimum 20 minute break (to include stepping out of the van) is required. If only one approved driver is available, after that 20 minute break, the driver may only drive for an additional 2 hours.
- Riders are responsible for wearing their seatbelts at all times in the vehicles.
- Food or beverages are allowed in the vans, however any leftover debris could result in a cleaning fee being assessed to the group and/or future restrictions from van use.
- Groups using a van overnight must be accompanied by a faculty or administrative person employed by the University on a full-time basis.
- Van drivers/passengers cannot drink alcohol nor use drugs which can affect driving performance during the entire time that they have possession of a van. Alcohol or smoking are NOT PERMITTED inside a University van.
- Any negative incidents and/or legal infractions involving the van may result in restrictions in use or complete revocation of the van-use privilege.
- In the case of an accident, follow the Accident Protocol, which can be found in the van.
- These policies may be changed or revised only at the discretion of the Director of Campus Safety, Assistant Dean for Campus Safety and Operations or the Vice President of Strategic Initiatives.