The Global & Local Sustainability program at Daemen College combines discipline-specific content (science, business, policy, art, etc.) with a sustainable design mindset.
Sustainability Earns Top Ranking
Daemen's Sustainability Program has earned the top ranking in the nation among the “Best Value Small Colleges for an Environmental Science Degree,” making it the only Western New York college to be named to the list. The 2017 ranking has been announced by Best Value Small Colleges, an online guide to the best values in college education in the country. READ MORE
Daemen Receives Award From EPA
Daemen College received a Food Recovery Challenge Regional Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, making it the only college in New York State to receive this distinction. The award was presented in honor of Daemen’s outstanding achievements in preventing and diverting wasted food. READ MORE
- First program in Western New York to offer a curriculum focused on educating students on sustainability concepts and how they can be applied to our modern communities.
- Supported by an extensive network of partnerships established by Daemen College Center for Sustainable Communities and Civic Engagement.
- Students, working with community leaders and residents, will integrate coursework in developing practical solutions to community problems to promote the social, environmental, and economic well-being of communities around the globe.
- Coursework in sustainability and a chosen focus area strengthens trans-disciplinary problem-solving in local and global communities.
- Students have the option to select Double Ups, allowing them to complete two majors in four years.
- Social entrepreneurship training prepares for ethical, proactive, and creative approaches to improve communities.
- Global and local projects provide a “sense of community” connecting with its natural, built and cultural dimensions.
Program and Degree Options
In addition to teaching you all the facets of business—economics, management, organizational behavior, accounting, marketing, law, and international business—we will prepare you for the most important issues facing business leaders today including, diversity, ethics, and global management. Your project-based experiences locally and globally will give you insight into new approaches and understand cultural differences while honing your skills at listening, speaking and taking action.
This program can typically be completed in four years with semesters of 15-18 credits (129 credits total), depending on your previous language experience. The Sustainability major requires an international experience which can be completed during the summer or as part of a semester exchange. Our Global Studies Office can work with you to find a program that best fits your interests and timing.
Learn more about the Double Up: Global & Local Sustainability and Business Administration (PDF).
Set your resume apart with unique skills and credentials by combining these complementary majors! This program typically is completed in four years with semesters of 15-17 credits (124 credits total), depending on your previous language experience. Both majors require an international experience which is usually completed in the junior year as part of a semester exchange. Our Global Studies Office can work with you to find a program that best fits your interests and timing.
Why Modern Languages and Sustainability?
Multilingual communication and sustainability literacy are keys to addressing the social, economic and environmental issues of our global future!
• Sustainability issues span borders, cultures, and languages
• Sustainability Officer positions are increasing at international companies and non-profit organizations
• International perspectives make you more competitive for positions in government, international business, law, social entrepreneurship, higher education and public health
You will have the skills to go beyond self-expression to a level of real understanding and communication with hundreds of millions of people who live and work in different cultures and situations.
Paralegal training coupled with a deep understanding of sustainability leads to innovative thinking about policy for a more sustainable future. Legal firms need to help clients anticipate and respond to changing environmental policies as well as take advantage of funding opportunities for sustainable development and renewable energy investment. Modern companies and nonprofits need an understanding of legal issues that we face as we seek solutions to social justice and environmental issues.
Our competency-based core curriculum linked with sustainability coursework and paralegal training and certification will prepare you for existing careers and those that have not yet become mainstream. You will gain the skills sought by employers--strong interpersonal and communication skills, effective teamwork, creative and critical thinking and problem-solving. Your project-based experiences locally and globally will give you insight for new approaches and understanding cultural differences while honing your skills at listening, speaking and taking action.
This program can typically be completed in four years with semesters of 15-17 credits (123 credits total), depending on your previous language experience. The Sustainability major requires an international experience which can be completed during the summer or as part of a semester exchange. Our Global Studies Office can work with you to find a program that best fits your interests and timing.
Learn more about the Double Up: Global & Local Sustainability and Paralegal Studies (PDF).
All students in the program complete a study abroad experience and engage in a community project while in the foreign country. Daemen's Center for Sustainable Communities, our international partners and US consortia partner institutions offer unique study and research opportunities. Students can choose from over 20 countries to study and experience community life. While there, they can work on projects such as marketing plans for fair trade goods, community water installations, early education in indigenous communities, sustainable agriculture, sanitation and hygiene education, and graphic design promotion for community campaigns. Living in a foreign country, and working within a different culture on problems relevant to those communities, prepares students to address domestic community issues with unique insights from their global experience.
Set yourself apart from other candidates with creative problem-solving skills, an interdisciplinary approach and demonstrated community experience.
- Health: Global Health Educator, Health Policy Activist, Environmental Health Specialist, Public Health Officer, Director for Community Agriculture Initiatives
- Science: Energy Management Officer, Environmental Educator, Environmental Consultant, Environmental Scientist, Energy Auditor, Recycling Operations Manager, Conservation Biologist
- Humanities: Grant Writer, Policy Analyst, Communications Director, Climate Change Policy Specialist, Environmental/Social Lobbyist, Community Resources Coordinator, Director for Non-profit Organization, Grants Officer, Agency Administrator for Social Justice Organization, Community Planner
- Business: Green Marketing, Human Resources Officer, Consultant, Materials Life Cycle Analyst, Managers/CEOs of Cleantech Companies, Investment Manager, Environmental Economist, Sustainability Officer for Companies or Non-profit Organizations
- Art: Sustainable Designer, Film Maker, Graphic Designer, Environmental Arts Director, Media Specialist, Media and Communications Project Manager
New “Green” Careers
- Future Entrepreneurship Opportunities: Green Builder, Green Product Design, Green Hospitality Sector, Sustainable Agriculture
- Graduate and Certificate Programs: Green Building Technology, Environmental Law, Sustainable Business MBA, Entrepreneurship, Urban Planning, Public Health, Architecture, Holistic Medicine, Conservation Biology
Graduates can also pursue work in environmental product testing, marketing and sales of environmentally-friendly products, and broad employment by corporations committed to sustainable practices, as well as seek graduate training in law, health care, business, and other fields.
REV Campus Challenge
As an institution of higher education, we recognize the unique position we are in to further clean energy adoption in New York State through our actions on campus, by training tomorrow's leaders, and by working with our local communities. By joining the REV Campus Challenge, Daemen College is demonstrating its commitment to advancing clean energy initiatives on-campus, in the classroom, and in the surrounding community.
Center for Sustainable Communities and Civic Engagement
The Center provides education and resources to the community on issues of social, economic and environmental sustainability. Read More
Global and Local Sustainability & Paralegal Studies
I wanted to be able to work with people on a personal level and help them solve problems. I have an interest in the law field and I am passionate about protecting the environment. My double major is the perfect combination of my interests. Read More