Illustration is an art form seen everywhere, and it has never been more accessible or more globally relevant, leading to job opportunities.
Learn how to create images that can communicate complex, nuanced or powerful stories, all without saying a word.
- Students learn about design and composition, concept generation, how to visually communicate with an audience, and fulfill professional illustration commissions.
- At Daemen, students are provided with classes, projects and guidance designed to explore, develop and evolve their voice.
- Our foundational classes help students develop a solid grounding in essential areas and our advanced classes allow students to take their skills much further.
- Students work in a variety of different media and styles, and gain a broad skillset by also taking courses in graphic design, photography, animation, and more
- Students engage in internships and gallery exhibits to discover practical applications beyond the studio, and gain exposure to regional and national art markets.
- Faculty members are active professional artists with connections to the art industry.
- Students participate in off-campus projects, extracurricular projects such as mural painting and graphic design campaigns.
- Visiting speakers and off-campus experiences allow students to see art and design at work in the local industry.
Illustrators may work in any combination of media or style imaginable from realistic oil paintings to highly stylised digital characters.
Our students are taught to brainstorm solutions, generate new ideas, and explore the materials and techniques best suited to present an idea. Graduates have experience in editorial, sequential, computer, packaging and storyboard illustration.
- Book cover and interior illustrator
- Children’s books graphic novels illustrator
- Magazine illustrator
- Newspaper illustrator
- Storyboard illustrator
- Packaging designer
- Advertising concept artist
- Film and music poster illustrator