Daemen’s Natural Sciences Department offers majors in Biochemistry, Biology, and Natural Sciences Individualized Studies which have Pre-Professional Specializations for post-baccalaureate study in numerous science disciplines, including medical, dental or veterinary schools.
Pre-Professional Program Highlights
Rich in higher quality courses, biology and chemistry, the pre-professional majors prepare you for study in many related areas such as chemistry, biology, neurobiology, genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, as well as medical, dental, and veterinary programs. The curriculum also provides a solid background in the liberal arts and mathematics.
Although no specific major is required to apply for postgraduate study in any of the medical fields (e.g. medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, podiatry, osteopathy, optometry, etc.), certain courses are recognized as beneficial to students considering such career options. These are the basis for the Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry with a Pre-Professional specialization. Professional programs in medically related fields give preference to students who have completed courses in biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and English. Also helpful are courses in biochemistry, biostatistics and genetics.
About Our Pre-Professional Programs
- A cumulative quality point average and science GPA of 3.0 earned before entry to upper division.
- A minimum grade of a B and an average of 3.2 earned in the following courses: BIO 109-110, 109L-110L, CHE 110-111, 301-302, 301L-302L; MTH 144; BCH 313, NSC 231.
Requirements for recommendation for Admission to Medical, Veterinary, and Dental Schools are:
- Senior status in Pre-Professional program
- A cumulative quality point average of 3.2
- An average of B earned in mathematics and science courses in first three years
For more information, contact Douglas Kalinowski, Chair of the Natural Sciences Department at email@example.com or call 716-839-8546.