Daemen English program graduates have a high track record of being employed or accepted into graduate school within six months of graudation.
Students can explore many compelling study areas, from web writing to Shakespeare.
- Internships with prominent area employers help students build their professional networks and resumes.
- Our study abroad experience in England allows students to explore literary and historical sites while learning about English culture.
- Student researchers and faculty work together on unique projects. Recent experiences include investigating the 1692 witch trials in Salem and examining rare Elizabethan documents in London’s British Library.
- Faculty and students attend the National College Media Convention to hear from Pulitzer Prize-winning speakers and participate in valuable sessions.
- Students showcase published work in our campus literary
- magazine, Iconoclast, and student-run newspaper, Insight.
- English club offers engaging activities, including poetry slams, the Shakespeare banquet, and literary weekend trips.
Travel to England through our literature of London class and explore popular sites, including Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, Charles Dickens’ former residence, the Tower of London, the London Eye, and Westminster Abbey. Gain a critical awareness of English culture through this valuable study abroad experience.
Graduates of our English program gain valuable communication and critical thinking skills that employers prize. They are prepared to meet the changing demands of the workplace and succeed in a variety of professional fields and advanced graduate programs.
- Social media manager
- Web content developer
- Editor and content manager
- Marketing project coordinator
- Brand manager
- Marketing communications director
- Technical writer
- Communications specialist
- Corporate blogger
Recent graduates have been employed in many successful positions, including:
- Marketing project coordinator, H&K Publications
- Proofreader, FARM Buffalo
- Brand manager, Nestlé Purina North American
- Director, Withee Public Library
- Legal assistant, Fullenweider Wilhite
- Head of references services and lecturing fellow, Duke University Law School
- Correspondent, The Batavian
- Publications assistant, Bright Kids Publications
- Designer, HarperCollins Publishers
- Customer care agent, Yahoo!
- English teachers at Buffalo Public Schools, South Park High School, Syracuse City School District, Las Vegas Public Schools, and more
Brooklyn Crockton, ’19
Law school student
Maverick Cummings, ’14
Assistant director of residence life at St. Lawrence University
Students with this specialization choose innovative courses targeted toward their professional interests, including journalism, writing for the web, public relations, and more. Students learn principles and tactics employed in writing across public, workplace, and educational settings.
Message from the Chair
Welcome from Daemen’s English Department! As faculty, we maintain strong and supportive relationships with our students – you will find our office doors open, not only for scheduled office hours, but also for informal conversation and advising. Students are always welcome to study or just relax in the English suite between classes.
Our English program offers you the chance to learn about human experience through the study of literary works in the classroom and beyond it – through films, live performances, visits to literary sites, and lectures by contemporary writers. English majors can pursue their individual interests by selecting from a wide range of courses taught by experienced faculty members who are responsive to each student’s needs and support each student’s potential for achievement.
The English program offers many options – just as an English degree can take you in many career directions, from medical school to law school, from creative writing to news writing, from library & information science to politics. Most of our graduates secure positions in professional fields that call for their expertise as writers and critical thinkers, skills we reinforce in every class and hone through internships. In addition to the B.A. in English, you can choose a track in Professional Writing & Rhetoric or even pursue teacher certification through our Adolescent Education program. We also offer a range of minors tailored to your interests.
Please feel free to contact me personally – I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have about the English program.
Associate Professor and Chair