The online publication and services industry is growing, increasing the demand for skilled writers and authors.
Learn to compose purposeful, powerful, and persuasive writing that will prepare you for many career paths.
- Students have access to internships with prominent employers, with recent opportunities at BlueCross BlueShield, Shea’s Performing Arts Center, and British Petroleum.
- Students learn investigative, enterprising, and creative strategies writing professionals use in their everyday work.
- Our study abroad experience in England allows students to explore literary and historical sites while learning about English culture.
- Student researchers and faculty work together on unique projects. Recent experiences include investigating the 1692 witch trials in Salem and examining rare Elizabethan documents in London’s British Library.
- Students can serve as editors for Daemen’s annual academic festival, as well as writing coaches, and student leaders on campus.
- Students showcase published work in our campus literary magazine, Iconoclast, and student-run newspaper, Insight.
- English Club offers engaging activities, including poetry slams, the Shakespeare Banquet, and literary weekend trips.
National Convention Opportunity
Students and faculty attend the National College Media Convention, hosted by the Associated Collegiate Press and the College Media Association. Students attend sessions offered at the convention, meeting Pulitzer Prize-winning speakers and learning about topics like photojournalism and editing.
Students gain valuable communication and critical thinking skills to benefit them in many different career options after graduation. Students become prepared to meet the changing demands of the workplace in areas, including public relations, media, technology, education, and business, and more.
- Social media manager
- Web content developer
- Editor and content manager
- Marketing project coordinator
- Brand manager
- Marketing communications director
- Technical writer
- Communications specialist
- Corporate blogger
Recent graduates’ positions
- Brand Manager, Nestlé Purina North America
- Marketing Project Coordinator, H&K Publications
- Head of Reference Services and Lecturing Fellow, Duke University Law School
- Communications Assistant, The Fresh Air Fund
- Writer, SAWS
- Counselor, Horizon Health Services
- Financial Associate, Digital Media
- Representative, Internal Revenue Service
Summer Phillipson, ’18
English, B.A. with professional writing and rhetoric specialization